Broccoli cheddar soup is my absolute favorite soup option so when I put together this recipe I was looking for something that would be easy to make but also definitely satisfy my love of broccoli cheddar. This soup is thick, creamy, and full of delicious cheese & broccoli flavors.
- 1 whole stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 heads broccoli- cut into florets (you can also use frozen broccoli if that is easier)
- 4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (you can also use mild cheddar, cheddar jack, etc)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 cup chicken broth (veggie works okay too)
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat; add onion powder. Mix well & allow to become a golden brown.
- Add flour to butter/onion mixture. Stir well & allow to thicken (no more than 1 minute).
- Pour in milk & half-and-half, a pinch of nutmeg (if desired), salt, and pepper. Stir to combine & add broccoli in.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low & allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in 3-4 cups of cheese until melted.
- Add in chicken broth starting with 1/2 a cup at first until you get the soup thickness you desire.
- Using a blender, immersion blender, or potato masher break up the broccoli into smaller bite sized pieces or until puree’d (smooth & creamy).
Also, we now have an email list & I’d love to have you as a subscriber! You can subscribe here & stay up to date on all the happenings here at Cherished Cottage.