- 2 cups all-purpose flour; sifted
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco shortening (I used the sticks of Crisco & cut it into cubes)
- 3-6 tbs cold water
- Sift flour into a large bowl and sprinkle table salt over top.
- Cut shortening into the flour until the shortening pieces are the size of peas (I use a butter knife in each hand and make slicing motions into the flour).
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until all the Crisco “peas” are moistened. You don’t want to use too much water, you only need enough to form a ball from the dough. Be sure that you don’t overmix, the crust will get tough.
- Form the dough into a ball and set out on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough ball in half and roll up each half into a ball. Set one half aside.
- Using a rolling pin (we recommend this one to ensure you get the right thickness) roll out each half of your dough to 1/8″ thick.
- If using a pie recipe that requires the entirety of the pie to be baked then follow those specific directions for baking the crust.
For Pastry Filling: Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes and let cool completely before filling.
To Freeze: After rolling out pie dough flour the top, flip the dough over & flour the back. Lay out a large piece of shrink wrap on a clean surface and gently lay the pie dough onto the shrink wrap. Fold one end of shrink wrap over an edge of the dough and gently roll up the dough so that there is shrink wrap between rolled layers & on the outside of the dough roll. Let warm up a little before unrolling.